‘It is time to concentrate on my family’

Outgoing GU VC Parimal Trivedi talks to Yogesh Avasthi about his achievements, his failures, controversies and his future plans

Posted On Thursday, June 14, 2012 (http://www.ahmedabadmirror.com/article/3/2012061420120614091449971d4dc8d0/%E2%80%98It-is-time-to-concentrate-on-my-family%E2%80%99.html?pageno=7)

What is the first thing you plan to do after your term as vice chancellor ends?
I am the only vice chancellor in the last 25 years to have completed two consecutive terms. My term ends on June 26. The next day, I will re-join M G Science College as a lecturer. But I plan to go on a long leave immediately. From 2006 to 2012, I have worked for almost 18 to 20 hours a day. Now I need to give time to my family. I will take my mother on a pilgrimage. Then I will take my family to Shimla, Singapore and Dubai. I will also shift to a 4-bedroom house in Bodakdev as my kids have grown up and need their space. I may apply for VRS.

What are your future plans? Do you plan to join politics?
Right now, I do not have such intentions. Things can change depending on the situation during elections. If the party gives me responsibilities....

Do you plan to join the Congress?
I have been associated with the BJP for over 25 years now. So, there is no question of changing loyalties.

Which controversies upset you the most during your tenure?
I was accused of getting CCTV cameras installed in ladies toilets and also of passing casteist remarks against a colleague. These affected me negatively as I was innocent in both instances. A group whom I had denied permission to set up a college was behind the CCTV case. They wanted to defame me. People also accused me of investing in colleges. I have dabbled in share bazaar since 1983. I made good money which I invested in land, not colleges.

Which project gave you immense satisfaction?
The university’s convention centre and exhibition hall. We faced opposition from various Syndicate and Senate members who alleged that money meant for students was being wasted in this venture. We had to deal with financial problems, too. The budget swelled from Rs 24 crore to Rs 40 crore. Despite this, we finished the project. My idea was to boost the varsity’s income. I acted as a businessman to benefit the university. The varsity’s deposits which was Rs 22 crore in 2005 has increased to Rs 105 crore now. Its income has risen from Rs 3 crore to Rs 32 crore.

If you were given a third term, what will you do?
I do not want a third term.

What if you are made the VC of another varsity? Which university would you prefer?
GU is the biggest in the state. I am a workaholic. But I will take up responsibility of a project only if I am given the freedom to shape it from scratch.

What hampers GU’s growth?
Politics. Here, people are more interested in political manoeuvering than academics. It is tough for a person to implement reforms as they get mired in political controversies.

On touching the CM’s feet....
Since I joined politics, I have always respected Narendra Modi. I have touched his feet earlier. And, I will continue doing so.

Popular posts from this blog

No more number game at medical colleges

Xavier’S BOY suspended for hitting vice-princi

Fusion garba with sanedo in Swahili