‘Great city, bad civic sense’

Amdavadis find time to enjoy the simple pleasures of life. We have all the facilities needed in a metropolitan city, but cleanliness is an issue. Development is skewed, too

Posted On Sunday, October 03, 2010 (http://www.ahmedabadmirror.com/index.aspx?Page=article&sectname=News%20-%20A%201000%20Salutes&sectid=68&contentid=20101003201010031141473252ffec17)

Ashok Garud
I was working in Guwahati division of railways as chief engineer when I got a promotional transfer to Ahmedabad. This was in May 2009. As a fast growing city’s new divisional railway manager, I had many challenges in front of me. But I knew it was possible because I had heard that people here were very helpful and efficient. I liked everything about the place— the people, the food, the quality of life.
Ever since I joined railways in 1979, I have been to Hubli, Tiruchirapalli, Kanyakumari, Allahabad, Lucknow, Mumbai and other cities. Ahmedabad has a fantastic public transport system. AMTS and BRTS work in tandem, benefiting thousands of Amdavadis every day. But I see that the development is skewed. Only the western part of the city is at an advantage, whereas the other areas are still lagging behind.
Also, the roads are good only till the rains. A light shower, and you get pothole-laden roads. But thankfully, the civic body here is active enough. They try their best to solve the problems as fast as they can. They at least do not procrastinate their work, which is not the case in other cities of the country.
However, when it comes to cleanliness there is a lot to be desired for. The civic body is still unable to address the issue the way it should. One thing that continues to irk, though, is the lack of civicsense in such a developed city. I feel we enjoy a lot of things, but do not value them. We have good roads, but we dump trash on the dividers. The walls and stairs of our buildings are decorated with gutkha stains. The railings on BRTS route go missing.
Ahmedabad can also boast of a good drainage system and serves as a role model for other cities in India. Many don’t like the prohibition policy of the state, but I think that is exactly what makes Ahmedabad a safe place to live in. In which other city can women venture out in late evenings and not worry about returning home safe?
My only grouse is that there aren’t many places for recreation in Ahmedabad. People either go to multiplexes or Kankaria lakefront or Vastrapur lake to enjoy their weekend. We need more places, more fun activities for people.
While I do appreciate the fact that Amdavadis are conscious about greening their city, I think it should be done in a very systematic manner. Right now, people haphazardly plant saplings. And a couple of months later, they wither away.
If you are really serious about having a green city, you ought to have a proper plan in place and also keep auditing your work. I also like the fun spirit of Amdavadis. They like to enjoy and celebrate all the festivals, be it Holi, Id or Diwali. I am so glad to be a city full of fun-loving people.
Wide roads, flyovers, BRTS, sports complexes and lakes: Amdavadis enjoy countless civic facilities which are still a dream in many other parts of the state and even the country
Even the neighbours are very friendly and helpful here unlike in other places where people keep to themselves. This is indeed a vibrant city where people enjoy even the simplest pleasures of life like having chai at the kitli.
Now that Ahmedabad is a metro, you will have many civic projects coming up. We already have impressive flyovers. I heard our BRTS will even connect the walled city area to other areas of the city. I am glad that the civic body is working towards integrated growth of Ahmedabad.
I feel proud to introduce myself as an Amdavadi to people.

— As told to Yogesh Avasthi

Popular posts from this blog

No more number game at medical colleges

Xavier’S BOY suspended for hitting vice-princi

Fusion garba with sanedo in Swahili