VARSITY DELAYS EXAM BY 3 YEARS

Around 100 students of Dr Ambedkar Open University, who enrolled in a one-year diploma course in 2006, are still waiting for the institute to conduct a practical test


By Yogesh Avasthi
Posted On Friday, December 11, 2009 (http://www.ahmedabadmirror.com/index.aspx?Page=article§name=News%20-%20City§id=3&contentid=2009121120091211022333666263bbbd)

Most colleges and educational institutes are always eager to conduct examinations, but Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University, it seems, is an exception.
The varsity, located in Sola, has kept several diploma students waiting for a crucial practical exam for more than three years, in the process scuppering their chances of getting good jobs.
Nearly 100 students, who enrolled in the institute’s rural health programme in 2006, have reportedly not been able to complete the one-year course and obtain their diplomas because of the pending test. One such student, Minesh Bundel, claimed that the institute was delaying the exam on flimsy grounds.
“Every time I enquire about the date of the test, coordinators of the course seek two months’ time,” an annoyed Minesh said. “It’s been nearly four years now; how long will they keep me and others waiting?”
Minesh said that he took up the course in February 2006, and cleared a written examination in March next year. He claims he has been waiting for the open varsity to conduct a practical test ever since.
“The wait is really galling because until I clear the test, I won’t get my diploma. And until I get the certificate, I won’t be able to apply for a job in the rural health sector,” he said. “My money, time: it’s all going to waste.” Minesh said that he had spoken to officials of the institute several times between 2007 and this year, but to little avail.
“The last time, I spoke to them, they told me the practical exam would be conducted before December this year. Ten days have already passed, but they have not announced any date,” he said.
The youth also claimed that officials of the open university ill-treated him. “They neither take this issue seriously nor do they respond to my queries properly,” he said.
When Mirror contacted the vice-chancellor of the institute, Manoj Soni, he said the issue had not been brought to his attention. “So far, no one has drawn my attention to this matter,” he said. “However, whenever I am apprised of a problem, I solve it immediately. I will definitely look into the issue (of pending exam).” The open varsity was established in 1994.

Popular posts from this blog

No more number game at medical colleges

Xavier’S BOY suspended for hitting vice-princi

Fusion garba with sanedo in Swahili