My doc forgot cotton inside me

♦ Dr Manu Pipliya forgets gauze inside Mumbai resident Chauhan’s tummy ♦ Ignores X-ray reports that indicate Chauhan’s in trouble ♦ Finally, admits mistake
By Yogesh Avasthi and Dhwani Pathak
Posted On Monday, June 01, 2009 (Ahmeadbad Mirror : http://www.ahmedabadmirror.com/index.aspx?Page=article&sectname=News%20-%20Latest&sectid=2&contentid=200906012009060104102529571c10dd)
An Ahmedabad-based surgeon’s blunder left a 45-year-old man with a mop, a sterile cloth used to staunch bleeding during a surgery, in his body. The man, Tribhuvansinh Chauhan, had to undergo an operation at the Civil Hospital to get rid of the mop that caused excruciating pain.
Chauhan, who runs an event management business, told Ahmedabad Mirror that the doctor, Manu Pipliya, forgot the mop in his body during a surgery at the Kakadiya Hospital on November 20, 2008. Pipliya, Chauhan claims, refused to accept his mistake even after being confronted with an X-ray that clearly showed the presence of mop in the left side of his body.
“I underwent an operation at the hospital, which is located in Bapunagar, after experiencing acute pain in my intestine last year,” Chauhan said. “Four days after the surgery, I suffered from pain again. I approached Pipliya, and asked him to suggest a treatment. He told me that I should not fret over the pain as it would go away in a few days.”
Chauhan, who is a resident of Mumbai, said that he was discharged in the first week of December 2008.
“Even after being discharged, I continued to experience a lot of pain. In fact, on two occasions, I fainted because I couldn’t bear the pain. I approached Pipliya several times, but he kept fobbing me off with fake assurances.”
The 45-year-old, who is currently being treated at the Civil Hospital, said that he then got an X-ray done and showed it to Pipliya. “When I pointed out the mop in the X-ray, the doctor pleaded ignorance. He said that the X-ray only showed the stitches taken during the surgery,” Chauhan, who has been diagnosed with cancer, said.
Chauhan then met several doctors in Ahmedabad and Mumbai, but they refused to examine him. “They turned me away after I mentioned Dr Pipliya’s name,” the Mumbai resident, whose in-laws live in Ahmedabad, said.
“I even asked a high court lawyer to help me take legal action against Pipliya. At first, the lawyer agreed, but later he backed out. Pipliya, it seems, is an influential person.”
The 45-year-old — who has a daughter and a son, aged two and four, respectively — got reprieve after he approached doctors at the Civil Hospital earlier this month. “I was subjected to a few tests at the hospital. Later, Dr Pankaj Modi, who is a professor of the general surgery department, operated on me, and removed the mop,” Chauhan said.
Dr Modi said that he, along with other doctors, operated on Chauhan twice. “We removed a tumour from the right side of his body and a mop from the left side,” Dr Modi said.
When Ahmedabad Mirror contacted Pipliya, he admitted his error. “Yes, I forgot a mop in his body. However, Chauhan should also note that the surgery went on for six hours without any major hitches,” Dr Pipliya said.
DOC SAYS HE NEVER PLEADED IGNORANCE
Yes, I forgot a mop in his body. However, Chauhan should also note that the surgery went on for six hours without any major hitches – Dr Manu Pipliya

Popular posts from this blog

No more number game at medical colleges

Xavier’S BOY suspended for hitting vice-princi

Fusion garba with sanedo in Swahili