Ms Perfect Attendance


Ahmedabad teen Jasmeen Gulyani hasn’t missed a day of school in 8 years
By Yogesh Avasthi
Posted On Saturday, July 19, 2008 (Publish : Ahmedabad mirror & Mumbai Mirror)

Jasleen says she attended school even when she had jaundiceAhmedabad: This is the picture of Ahmedabad’s Ms Perfect Attendance. Jasmeen Gulyani of Delhi Public School (DPS), Bopal loves school so much that she has not missed a day in eight years.Fourteen-year-old Gulyani joined the DPS in Class II, and this Saturday, she will be on the podium, receiving the school award for 100 per cent attendance for the eighth time in a row.Vastrapur resident Jasmeen said she was determined not to miss school.


She said, “I don’t know how it happened. My parents say I was stubborn from the very beginning. What I do recall is a promise made to myself that I will not miss school come what may. I guess it all started from there and I want to keep the slate clean all through my academic years.”A class nine student, Jasmeen hailed her parents for her perfect attendance record.
“I am so lucky to have such such a supportive mom and dad. The fact that my mom, Harsharan Kaur, is a teacher obviously helps,” she said. Her dad, Surenderjeet Singh, has a catering business.Attending school without a break for eight years did test Jasmeen mentally and physically, but adversities steeled her further.She said, “I suffered from jaundice when I was in Class III and I thought, ‘Oh God, my efforts of not missing school even for a day are over’. But then, sitting in the doctor’s chambers made me more determined not to miss school. I told him to do something, give an injection or anything, so that I could attend school. Even my parents convinced the doctor and he reluctantly relented.”And don’t you ever take Jasmeen for a bookworm.
The girl is a star basketball player in her school team and has won trophies in sports and cultural activities. She excels in Gatka, which is a martial art invented by the Sikhs.And yes, she is an excellent student as well.Jasmeen, who wants to join the Air Force, has inspired her friends to achieve hundred per cent attendance. “I am so excited because on Saturday, around 20 students will be awarded attendance awards.In fact, my close friend and schoolmate Riya Chokhani also recorded hundred per cent attendance last year,” she said.• I made a promise to myself that I will not miss school come what may – Jasmeen Gulyani, Student

Popular posts from this blog

No more number game at medical colleges

Xavier’S BOY suspended for hitting vice-princi

Fusion garba with sanedo in Swahili